Economic / Community Development
Economic and Community Development (ECD) helps to promote the Town of Brunswick as a great place to do business, a great place to live, and a great place to visit. We strive to facilitate capital investment, job creation, business activity and property tax base expansion by attracting prospective businesses and supporting the expansion and retention of existing local businesses. We work to connect business and community development projects with available state and federal grant opportunities, such as Community Development Block Grants (CDBG). The Town of Brunswick, supports the initiatives of and works with the Brunswick Downtown Association (BDA), in fostering a vibrant downtown.
Cook's Corner Commercial Corridors Revitalization Plan draft is now available for public review.
Cook's Corner Commercial Corridors Revitalization Plan
The Cook's Corner Revitalization Plan is a public-private strategic planning effort to produce a long-term vision and roadmap to making targeted investments and improvements to Cook's Corner that will create a more productive, vibrant, and sustainable commercial district.
There is an Advisory Committee comprised of individuals and stakeholder groups that represent numerous public and private constituencies. The Vision, Goal Areas, and Strategies for the Cook's Corner plan were informed by a community engagement process, on-going stakeholder input and collaboration, an economic profile, real estate market data, traffic impact analysis, and financial feasibility of some key development sites.
For more information on the Cook's Corner Revitalization, please visit www.cookscornerrevitalization.com .
Economic and Community Development supports the development of Brunswick Landing (formerly the Brunswick Naval Air Station), and is active in securing and administering federal and state grants for both private business development and public infrastructure that supports the development of business, community and cultural assets.
We serve as the liaison between the Midcoast Regional Redevelopment Authority (MRRA) and the Town of Brunswick, and support the Town Departments of Planning and Development and Parks and Recreation through the public benefit conveyances (PBC) process. The Town of Brunswick received from the Department of the Navy a 66-acre parcel of open space, located off Old Bath Road, known as the Captain William A. Fitzgerald USN. Recreation and Conservation Area; over 800 acres of open space at the southern end of the former Naval Air Station property, known as the Kate Furbish Preserve; and, a recreation center. View more information for Parks and Recreation Facilities.
Brunswick serves a multi-modal transportation hub and gateway to Midcoast Maine. Brunswick Station, a mixed-use, transit-oriented development centered around the Brunswick Visitor Center/train station, is served by Amtrak Downeaster passenger rail service, Concord Coach lines, regional and local bus and taxi services.
How We Help Brunswick Business
Brunswick economic and community development staff provide expertise and assistance with an array of federal, state, local and private economic development resources. We are highly adept at assessing a business' development needs and packaging customized financial resources to meet those needs.
In particular, the Brunswick ECD staff stands ready to assist existing and prospective Brunswick employers to:
- Identify suitable sites for commercial activity
- Help businesses navigate local and state regulatory requirements
- Identify sources of investment capital and package customized financing from multiple sources in order to facilitate business development by leveraging private resources and sharing risk
- Reach out to existing local businesses and provide assistance to address challenges and/or capitalize on opportunities
- Help businesses tap into the network of federal, state, local and private resources that support economic development
- How do I find out about licenses and permits needed to open a business in Brunswick?
- How do I find financing options or grants for my business?
- How do I find available commercial properties in Brunswick?
- How do I find out about redevelopment opportunities at Brunswick Landing (formerly Brunswick Naval Air Station)?