Permits & Applications

See below for permit types and definitions.


Civic_GovThe Planning & Codes Office has adopted a NEW permitting portal through CivicGov.

- Permit Applications -

How to Submit

Complete the one-time registration* and apply for the appropriate permit(s) through the Permit Portal (click here or on the button below).


*PLEASE NOTE: You may only access your account once you receive the email that “your account has been activated”.

  • Construction projects on Brunswick Landing that involve any soil displacement require a Brunswick Landing Construction Permission Request form below, submitted to the Navy, before applying for permits with the Town.

In-Person Permit Application Submission

There is a computer kiosk available in the Planning & Codes office.

- Development Review Applications -

How to Submit

Download a development review application PDF (found below), complete, and email to Taylor Burdin ( OR mail to / drop-off in-person at the Planning & Codes Office at 85 Union St Brunswick, ME 04011. 

In-Person Development Review Application Submission

There are paper development review applications available in the Planning & Codes office.


Please see our fee schedule effective Wednesday, July 3, 2019.

Payment must be submitted prior to application review.

  • Applicants for new dwelling units (primary or accessory) will be charged for recreation impact fees. The recreation impact fee varies depending on the number of bedrooms in the dwelling unit. Please refer to Table E.1 in the appendix of the Brunswick Zoning Ordinance to determine the applicable fees. The table is also attached to the fee schedule linked above.

For fire prevention and life safety codes please contact the Fire Department (725-5541) or visit the Municipal Code of Ordinances:


Development Review Applications

- Attention Property Owners & Building Contractors -

The International Energy Conservation Code (IECC) is utilized in the Town of Brunswick, effective January 1, 2022.

Please refer to the FAQ for more detailed information.

It is advised that you review the entire 2015 IECC code.  Please contact the Planning & Codes office if you have any questions or concerns regarding the 2015 IECC.

The Maine Uniform Building and Energy Code (MUBEC) is utilized in the Town of Brunswick, effective July 21st, 2021.

MUBEC consists of:

  • 2015 International Building Code
  • 2015 International Existing Building Code
  • 2015 International Residential Code
  • 2015 International Energy Conservation Code

These codes can be purchased online at the International Code Council (ICC) website.

ASHRAE Standards

The following ASHRAE standards are also adopted in this code:

  • Standard Practice for Radon Control
  • Ventilation and Acceptable Indoor Air Quality in Low-Rise Residential Buildings
  • Ventilation for Acceptable Indoor Air Quality

These standards can be purchased online at the ASHRAE website.


Permit types and definitions:

Building Permit

A Building Permit is required when a building is constructed, demolished, moved, added to or structurally altered. Any building permit application shall be accompanied by plans drawn to scale, a plot plan and a cross section. Generally, permits are processed within 7 to 10 working days.

A Building Permit shall expire if the work or change is not commenced within 6 months of the date on which the permit is granted. Once work has commenced under a valid permit, it shall not expire unless the work is abandoned for 6 months or longer. Building Permit extensions may be granted by the Codes Enforcement Officer for justifiable cause. These requests must be submitted in writing.

View the Standard Conditions of Permit (PDF).

Rural Protection Steep Slopes Permit

A Steep Slopes Permit is required for all proposed activities within 75 feet of a 15% slope in the Rural Protection zoning districts (RP1 and RP2).

Shoreland Protection Zone (SPO) Permit

A SPO Permit is required for all proposed activities (such as, but not limited to: building replacement/expansion, land clearing, new roads, septic systems, and shoreline stabilization) within 250 feet, horizontal distance, of the normal high water line of a river; or within 250 feet, horizontal distance, of the upland edge of a coastal or freshwater wetland; or within 75 feet, horizontal distance of the normal high water line of a stream.

Electrical Permit

An Electrical Permit is required whenever electrical work is done. A licensed State of Maine Electrician must do the work unless it is completed by the homeowner occupying the building.

Plumbing Permit

Plumbing Permits are required for any plumbing work done to a structure. A licensed State of Maine Plumber must do the work unless it is completed by the homeowner occupying the building.

Sign Permit

Sign Permits are required for any new or replacement sign in the Town of Brunswick. Please allow 7 to 10 working days to receive approval of a Sign Permit.

Change of Use Permit

A Change of Use Permit is required when there is a change from one use to another of any structure or portion thereof, which is permitted in a particular zoning district.