Posted Road Information

Posted Roads

Roads Posted for Heavy Loads

We annually post roads to protect them from heavy truck (23,000 GVW) traffic during early spring conditions when the roadbed first begins to thaw out and the base remains saturated with water and unable to support the wheel loads. Prohibiting heavy loads is required to prevent significant damage to the road pavement. Trucks that exceed 23,000 GVW are not allowed to travel along these posted roads until the posting period has ended (typically mid-April).

The following roads will be posted for heavy loads beginning MONDAY, MARCH 1, 2021.

  • Adams Road
  • Board Road
  • Brackett Road
  • Bunganuc Road
  • Casco Road
  • Collinsbrook Road
  • Coombs Road
  • Deerfield Drive
  • Grant Road
  • Hacker Road
  • Harding Road
  • Highland Road
  • Hillside Road
  • Lunt Road
  • Maquoit Road (south of high school)
  • Meadow Road
  • Mere Point Road (south of Middle Bay Road)
  • Middle Bay Road
  • Moody Road
  • Pennell Way
  • Pennellville Road
  • Pleasant Hill Road (Church Road to Freeport line)
  • Princes Point Road
  • Raymond Road
  • Rocky Hill Drive
  • Rossmore Road
  • Simpson Point Road
  • Thomas Point Road
  • Woodside Road
  • Woodward Point Road

If you are planning to build a house starting in late winter you should check to see if the road giving access to your property is typically posted. Although permits are issued occasionally they are not issued to allow new construction of a home or addition. If your property's only access is via a posted road you should plan to start the project at the end of April and not late winter or early spring.

Should you require it, you may apply for a temporary permit to operate a vehicle on a posted way.

Penalties & Exemptions

Any violation of the rules is a traffic infraction punishable by a fine of not less than $250. Certain vehicles, such as public utility, emergency, school buses, heating fuel trucks (operating in accordance with a permit issued by the Maine Department of Transportation) are exempt, and for any other heavy vehicle, there is a permit process for requesting special permission to travel on these roads. For further information please contact the Public Works Department at 207-725-6654.