Climate Action Task Force
The purpose of the Climate Action Task Force is to oversee the development of the Brunswick Climate Action Plan (CAP), with assistance from Town staff and Greater Portland Council of Government (GPCOG) staff.
This Climate Action Plan will:
- Assess community vulnerabilities,
- Build a community-wide greenhouse gas inventory,
- Address community needs as determined by the vulnerability assessment and community engagement,
- Establish a vision and prioritize specific targets for climate mitigation and adaption, and
- Recommend a strategic plan to achieve those targets, including an implementation framework and identification of potential funding sources or opportunities.
- The Town Council shall appoint a Task Force of up to nine (9) members, which shall be residents of Brunswick and shall serve without pay. All members shall be voting members.
- Two (2) Town Council Members will serve as liaisons to the Task Force
- This Task Force will convene for up to one year (or until project completion) and will oversee the development of a CAP for Town Council review and approval.
- The Task Force will be composed of at least two members of the Recycling and Sustainability Committee whom shall serve as representation for the “Sustainability and Adaptation” sector. The remainder of the Task Force shall be comprised of residents, community stakeholders, and industry leaders, who specialize in adjacent or related fields, and shall consist of representation from some, or all (preferred), of the following categories:
- Sustainability & Adaptation, Transportation, Business, Planning & Development, Energy, Food Systems, Natural Resources, Land Use & Conservation
- Mark Battle, Co-Chair
- Rebecca Lincoln, Co-Chair
- Thomas Rumpf, Vice Chair
- James Ecker
- Jenna Muzzy
- Lissa Pelletier
- Adam St. Gelais
- Aaron Turkel
- Melissa Wong
- Stephen Walker, Town Council Representative
- 3rd Monday Every Month
- 4:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m.
- Town Hall Council Chambers
The Brunswick Climate Action Task Force shall:
- Promote community engagement to guide the creation of CAP targets and actions
- Pool input, resources, and feedback from throughout the community
- Collaborate with stakeholders to promote and hold outreach events
- Identify vulnerable populations & develop strategies to encourage inclusive participation
- Recommend prioritization of actions for the Climate Action Plan
- Identify vulnerable areas of the community (whether physical or social) that would most benefit from improvement (given your local knowledge)
- Identify opportunities for greenhouse gas reductions
- Provide input on suggested strategies and specific actions
- Provide input and review on technical reports
- Review emission reduction inventory & choose an emissions reduction target to recommend to TC
- Assist in developing a set of prioritized actions for both climate adaptation and emissions reductions
- Review the final Climate Action Plan as part of a public review
Ashley Charleson, Environmental Planner
The Task Force will provide summary updates to the Town Council on a quarterly basis.
Agendas and Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval. Agenda and Meeting Minutes may be found here.
- Brunswick Climate Action Page
- Climate Action Plan Website - Stay updated on plan development & progress, upcoming workshops & opportunities for public feedback. Additionally:
- Take the community-wide survey
Are you a resident, student, business owner, or someone who works or utilizes social services in Brunswick? If so, please take this survey to ensure the CAP is representative of our town's needs!
- Sign up for email updates & notifications (click here)
Stay updates on plan development & progress, upcoming workshops, and opportunities for public feedback when you subscribe to the Town's "Brunswick Climate Action" Notify Me list. Be sure to check your spam folders for an initial verification email from CivicPlus.
- Take the community-wide survey
For more information about the Climate Action Task Force, please contact the Environmental Planner, Ashley Charleson, at (207) 721-4025 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.