Growstown School Committee
The Committee shall advise and assist the Town Council in preserving the Growstown School, Brunswick’s only remaining one-room schoolhouse, an historic example of a 19th century and early 20th century educational facility. The Committee shall also promote the history of the school and assist in the development and delivery of educational and cultural activities occurring at the school.
There shall be five (5) members appointed by the Brunswick Town Council. Membership is open to any citizen interested in historic preservation generally, and the preservation of the Growstown School. Preference in appointments may be given to citizens residing in the Growstown area of Brunswick, members of the American Association of University Women (AAUW), and members of the Pejepscot History Center.
- Abby King, Council Representative
- Cathy Leonard, Chair
- Betsy Schmidt
- Suzanne Poliquin
- Susan Wilson
The Growstown School Committee will meet on an as needed basis, but at least annually.
- To provide a living history center for contemporary students to experience a day at school typical of the era in which the Growstown School was in operation.
- To provide a meeting place for small community or neighborhood groups, or organizations in keeping with the educational use concept of the building.
- To encourage the continuation of the study and preservation of our Brunswick heritage.
- Set fees for the use of the school building, subject to Town Council approval.
- Recommend policy decisions subject to approval of the Brunswick Town Council.
The Town Manager's Office
The Growstown School Committee will present to the Town Council on an annual basis.
Next Scheduled Reporting: August 19, 2023