What are the requirements for residential construction under the new 2015 energy code?

Brunswick, ME will require compliance with the 2015 International Energy Conservation Code (IECC) starting on January 1, 2022 for all permits issued for new homes, renovations & additions. Some important new requirements to note:


  • Prescriptive insulation requirements have changed. All new homes & additions will need to meet these insulation levels or show alternative compliance. Reference Table 402.1.2 here (Climate Zone 6):  IECC 2015 chapter 4 Residential Energy Efficiency  
  • The 2015 IECC requires air tightness levels of no greater than 3 air changes per hour on new homes. Compliance must be verified with blower door testing performed by an approved 3rd party tester & documented with the Residential Envelope Leakage Test Report.  Residential Envelope Leakage Report  (Blower Door Test)
  • Homes with ducted forced air heating systems will require duct testing if any ducts are located outside the conditioned space. Total leakage must be less than 4 cubic feet per minute per 100 sq. ft. of conditioned floor area.  A written report of the results will be provided to the code officer.
  • An insulation certificate detailing the Manufacturer, Type, Location & R-value of insulation materials used in the structure to be posted next to the electrical panel or in a similar suitable location
  • Programmable thermostats are required for new homes
  • Access hatches (attic scuttles, knee wall doors, etc.) between conditioned & unconditioned spaces must be gasketed, insulated to the same R-value as adjacent surfaces, & have a positive closure method. Insulation dams must be installed if loose fill insulation is used.


There may be additional requirements based on the specific project, it is advised that you review the entire 2015 IECC code.  Please contact the code office to discuss alternative methods of compliance or if you have any questions or concerns regarding the 2015 IECC

Show All Answers

1. When is the Planning and Codes Office open?
2. How do I obtain permit applications for Building, Electrical, Plumbing, Signs or Change of Use?
3. What are some examples of projects that require building permits?
4. What are the requirements for residential construction under the new 2015 energy code?
5. What are the documentation requirements for a Building Permit/Demolition Permit?
6. How do I obtain Planning Board, Village Review Board or Zoning Board of Appeals applications?
7. What documents need to accompany a Development Review Application?
8. How long does it take for Planning Board or Village Review Board Approval?
9. How do I determine the zone my house or business is in?
10. How do I report a code/zoning violation?